What are some of the benefits of IPL?
- Reduction/Removal of sun damage (freckles, age spots)
- Reduction/Removal of broken capillaries (spider veins)
- Reduction/Removal of redness/rosacea
- Tightening of the skin for face and body (using infra-red technology)
- Reduction/Removal of dark hairs, course and fine
- Reduction of fine wrinkles
- Overall brightening effect of the skin
- Reduced pore size
Which procedure should I book for IPL?
- Skin rejuvenation/photo facial- this will get rid of freckles and age spots
- Vascular reduction- this is for spider veins and other small damaged vessels
- Hair removal- for face, under arms, bikini and lower legs
- Skin tightening- for face, neck, chest and body
How many IPL treatments will I need?
This varies from person to person but the average is 3-6 treatments depending on which service is booked. For example 3 IPL treatments for face is expected for sun damage whereas 6 treatments are usually required for hair removal.
How often can I get each treatment?
Most treatments are done every 4 weeks.
Who cannot have IPL treatments?
IPL treatments are contraindicated for:
- Individuals with very dark skin
- People with recent sunburns
- If there is an active rash or infection
- Accutane use within 6 months
- History of photo-sensitive seizures
- Pregnant women
How do I prepare for my IPL treatment?
- Discontinue retinol products or any other skin lightening product 3-4 days prior to treatment
- Do not use exfoliants or harsh products 2-3 days prior to treatment
- Avoid the sun 4-6 weeks prior to treatment and 4 weeks after
- Avoid sunless tanner 2-3 weeks prior to treatment
- Wear SPF 30 or greater even just while driving before and after treatment
- Let your provider know of any medications you are on prior to treatment
Does IPL hurt?
The procedure is uncomfortable but quick. It feels like a quick snap of a rubber band for each pulse. Most people find the treatment to be tolerable. If it feels very uncomfortable then after the proper setting is determined a numbing cream can be applied.
What is the down-time after IPL?
It is normal to experience stinging, redness and mild puffiness for a day or so after an IPL treatment, kind of like a mild sunburn. Depending on the severity, and tolerance of the individual, this will not cause any down-time at all.
Most people return to work the same day or day after this procedure. The pigmented lesions will darken immediately after and then flake or fall off within 1-2 weeks. It often looks like dried coffee grounds on the area treated which can be covered with make-up.
Do IPL treatments cause cancer?
There is no existing evidence that IPL treatments cause cancer and in the last 25 years of research no evidence of any major adverse side effects.
How much does IPL treatment cost?
The size and number of areas to be treated are determined during your free consultation. Some patients are not eligible for this treatment and a medical history and skin examination are required prior to treatment. After your consultation you will be given pricing options for treatment and education on what to expect moving forward.
Are payment plans available for IPL packages?
Financing is offered through Square, you can read more about it and apply HERE.
Discounts are also available when multiple procedures are booked together. Get in touch or book a free consult for more information.