How to Make the Most Out of Your Aesthetic Treatments
It takes time, money, and even some “downtime” to reach your aesthetic goals with various treatments…so of course, you want the results to last as long as possible! At Elite, we want to ensure you are well educated on ways that you can extend the longevity of your favorite treatments, too.
Keep reading below for tips on how to:
- Make your Tox last longer
- Make your lip filler last longer
- Make the results of your IPL treatment last longer
- How overall health and wellness impacts your aesthetic treatments
Table of Contents
How can I make my Botox last longer?
While we all wish that our Tox (Botox, Xeomin, Dysport) never wore off, there are a few things we recommend doing at Elite, to ensure you are getting the full 3-4 months of Tox results. Below are 3 tips from Nurse Practitioner injectors:
1. Take a Zinc supplement: a few studies have shown that taking a high-quality zinc supplement may enhance the uptake of neurotoxins (Botox, Xeomin, Dysport) leading to longevity of the treatment
2. Make facial movements in the areas that were treated 1 hour after injections: post-treatment facial exercises (where treated with Tox) can be shown to speed up the wrinkle-reducing effects, and further activates the Tox medication
3. Avoid vaccines 2-4 weeks before and after initial injections: this is best practice to ensure that your Tox treatment & results, do not interfere with your vaccine (and to avoid potential complications, overall)
As a bonus tip, be sure to listen to the recommendations of your injector on what dose you need to last a full 3-4 months. Under-dosing can lead to shorter duration of the medication.
For more information about how to make your botox last longer, click on the button below.
Does applying retinol make your botox last longer?
Unfortunately, no. Topical application of retinol is a great addition to a healthy skincare routine to prevent signs of aging and turn over skin cells quicker, but it does not have any effect on the Tox medication or its longevity.
Does caffeine effect botox?
Caffeine does not effect botox directly, nor does it make it last longer/shorter. However we do recommend avoiding caffeine before initial Tox (Botox, Xeomin, Dysport) injections to prevent potential bruising.
Learn more about how to prep for botox by clicking on the button below.
Does botox last longer if you use more?
Botulinum toxin results are dose dependent. Meaning that in the FDA trials that determined longevity, an average dose was determined for each area in order for it to last 3-months. These results were:
Forehead: 20 units
Glabella (11’s): 20 units
Crow’s feet: 24 units
Treating with more than the above can increase longevity but at the risk of other side effects, such as droopy brows. These doses are also just averages and will not work for everyone; treatment should be individualized. It’s always best to talk to your provider about what is best for your personal aesthetic goals.
Maintaining and committing to getting your injections every 3-4 months can give you longer lasting results than just getting injections every-so-often as well.
How can I make my lip filler last longer?
There are a few recommendations to ensure lip filler lasts as long as it possibly can (without migration, too):
1. Do not bite down on your lips: this can potentially cause the lip filler to migrate
2. Do not use straws or purse your lips together: this is a great habit to practice in general, because constant “sucking of straw movement” or pursing lips together, leads to lip lines and wrinkles as well as potential migration
3. Avoid dental work 2-4 weeks before and after treatment: this is best to reduce potential risk of infections, filler migration, or any complications that may arise
4. Avoid vaccines 2-4 weeks before and after treatment: again, this is best practice to ensure your immune system is not over-whelmed and cause complications for your filler
Added tip, go to an experienced artistic injector that will tell you “NO” if you’re not ready for more filler.
Do different types of lip filler last longer?
There are some HA filler brands that claim longer results, such as Juvederm. However, in order to make a filler last longer they have to heavily cross link the hyaluronic acid (HA) with chemicals.
The more chemicals that are added, the higher the risk for your immune system to recognize the HA as foreign and attack it. This can happen years later when the immune system is triggered by a seasonal illness, vaccine, or if someone develops auto-immune disease.
At Elite, we ensure we are using products that are best suited for each individuals’ needs, instead of using one type of product or brand on everyone. We pride ourselves in taking the time to assess and analyze what treatments and products/brands will give our clients naturally beautiful results, SAFELY, because everyone is different!
Read more below about the best lip filler and different options that may be considered before lip injection treatments
Does your second round of lip fillers last longer?
This is dependent on when you decide to get the 2nd treatment done. If you are trying to build volume without migration, getting lips re-filled every 3-6 months can make the HA last a little longer, because there is more of it. However, the longevity of the lip filler’s HA is dependent on how fast your body metabolizes it, overall. Talking with a provider about what treatment plan is best for you, and what to expect, is recommended.
Below are some before and after images of lip filler treatments done at EMA!
How often should lip fillers be re-done?
At Elite, we recommend getting your lip filler re-done about every 12 months to maintain your results and build on to your desired lip shape and fullness. However, we also say, “if it looks good, leave it alone!“. There’s no exact time frame to get lip filler done for each person.
Make sure you have an honest, and artistic injector, that will prioritize the harmony of your face over just doing filler whenever you come in to ask.
How can I make my IPL results last longer?
Below are some simple recommendations for long lasting results after an IPL treatment.
1. Avoid the sun, especially right after your treatment: your skin will be more photo-sensitive and you do not want to create more sun damage
2. Wear SPF 30 every day and re-apply liberally: protecting your skin from harmful UVA/UVB rays is the best thing to do to keep your skin healthy and even-toned (especially after treatments 😉 ). We like to recommend quality mineral SPF 30+ for daily use
3. Complete 3 treatments in a row for optimal results, then get 2-3 IPL’s a year for maintenance
Learn more about IPL treatments, and all of the skin benefits below!
How do you maintain IPL results?
Maintaining IPL results includes a customized skincare routine, protecting your skin from the sun, and your overall health/wellbeing. At Elite, we recommend using medical grade skincare that includes retinols and occasional AHA/BHA exfoliants. It is also important to focus on a healthy, balanced diet and hydration (inner beauty is just as important as outer beauty). Lastly, being diligent with SPF 30+ is crucial, not only for maintaining results, but for keeping your skin protected from harmful UVA/UVB rays.
How long do the benefits of IPL last?
Do you have to continue doing IPL treatments forever?
Like mentioned above, to maintain optimal skin health and results, continuing IPL treatments is essential! Even though the benefits from each treatment are lasting, it is important to keep maintaining with IPL treatments, because we will continue aging and getting sun damage that leads to pigmentation/sun spots.
Consistent IPL/BBL treatments can also increase collagen production in the skin and reverse DNA damage from the sun. This leads to more youthful appearing, healthy skin.
Does your overall health effect how long your botox, filler, and facial treatments last?
Yes! While this often goes over-looked, it is important to focus on overall health to ensure your aesthetic treatments are long-lasting.
Some tips to consider:
- Stress management
- Well-balanced diet: nourishing your skin from the inside out
- Mental health
Your overall health is also crucial for receiving and healing from treatments (if applicable). Potential swelling, bruising, and skin sensitivities are common when getting procedures done. Someone who is generally healthier, tends to heal faster and avoids the major risks/downtime associated with aesthetic treatments.
Additionally, we love to incorporate wellness treatments such as IV Therapy to help support inner beauty health. Check out more on IV Therapy below.
If you are located in the Lone Tree, CO area, talk with one of our providers about aesthetic treatments best fit for you!